The growth and success of Dale Rogers Training Center (DRTC) is unparalleled in Oklahoma. The unique and innovative $18 million nonprofit agency is comprised of businesses, work projects and programs that provide training, sheltered in-house businesses and community jobs to 1,100 teens and adults with disabilities each year.
Dale Rogers Training Center is the largest facility of its kind in the Southwest. The agency began in 1953 and operates in multiple locations across Oklahoma. Its programs and work projects have grown beyond the traditional and also include: the Special Needs Program, federal contracts in food and custodial services and unique business lines like Prism Place (an awards business), Wyman Frame, and a gift shop. The result is that more than 1,100 individuals and their families benefit as the people with disabilities earn close to $5.5 million a year in wages. Each year DRTC’s Employment Services Program places more than 160 people with disabilities in community jobs.
For more than 30 years the driving force behind these amazing accomplishments has been Connie Thrash McGoodwin, M.Ed. Having taught and lectured in New York and Australia, McGoodwin also ran a smaller but similar agency in Dallas, Texas. “Who knew,” says McGoodwin. “I’m a Speech Pathology major with a Master’s degree in Education; I never thought I’d be developing and overseeing services, products and businesses.” McGoodwin gives her talented management team at DRTC a lot of the credit.
An Oklahoma State University and a Texas Women’s University graduate, Connie’s credentials, awards, recognitions and community services would fill a few pages. A graduate of Leadership Oklahoma City and Leadership Oklahoma, some of her key recognitions and awards include:
- 2017 Northwest Oklahoma City Chamber Hall of Honor inductee
- A 30 year achievement award from the Mayor’s Committee on Disabilities
- Journal Record Woman of the Year – Circle of Excellence (three-time nominee)
- NISH Rising Star Award, South Central Region
- Executive of the Year – Sales and Marketing Executives Association
- MAPs Oversight Committee – 10 Years
- Women in Communication By Liners Award
- Oklahoma Association of Workshops/ Group Homes Past President
- Workforce Oklahoma Oversight Committee
- Civitan International, Board of Directors & Regional Governor